Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Magnolias Whisper

                                                                         
  The Magnolias Whisper
The son’s fingers sift
The mother's trinkets
As they wander inside
The vanity drawer. 
 “Nothing clinquant can stay,” the
Magnolias whisper.
Powder clouds and
Floats to nothing.
Perfume spills and
Becomes vapor.
Gossamer curtains sag and
Then dissolve.
The candle’s wax fuels no more
Flames for the wayward children.
Only the trees remain.
26 May 2011

1 comment:

  1. I really like this one. It is so poignant, it reminds me of when I had to go through my mother's things on her dresser. I gave a lot of her costume jewelry to my little niece, Cadence. She loves to wear it around the house, and when I see it on her, I am reminded of Mama, and I can remember each dress that she wore with the beads and clips earrings.

    ReplyDelete