Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Black Friday Before Christmas

 

I woke up at 5:00,

hopped up out of bed:

Most unlike me, I admit...

always loll an hour instead...

jumped into my jeans, 

my black shirt and shawl--

then upset my style

with white tennies for the mall.

No time for coffee:  Diet Coke had to do--

along with the tranq, so no problems would ensue...

hopped into the car with daughter at the wheel:

Her coupons and plans were making her reel:

"Where's Kohl's?" she inquired.

"I don't know," I replied.

"You live here; I don't," she came back,

so I thought and I tried

to picture the store where I'd just seen it last,

and, lo and behold, the great Kohl's had held fast

on Loop 12 at Skillman--with Target next door;

nothing could be easier when shopping for more.

The crowd: It was lulling post the madness of 3:00.

Most were at coffee or a donut reprieve.

We bought toys galore--and I want to keep them,

but I'll wrap them up brightly

With bows meant to hide them:

A Pink V-Dub with Barbie and trucks that make noise,

pajamas and books for the girls and the boys,

DVDs for my Laura, a little something for my man.

When I realized I'd had all the fun I could stand,

we came home for breakfast with

hot chocolate to mend--

and to top it all off, a little whipped cream!

Laura has recharged,

and I sit here and wonder, "Was all that a dream?"

Now she's whisked off

to shop with her cousin and aunt,

but I'm opting to sit with the fire, dogs, and cat.
 
26 November 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment