Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

To a Scholar





To a Scholar

I take no credit.
I am a small bit of mortar
in the edifice that becomes your
living.  Our roads cross
briefly, but your
journey is lengthy.
I am but a sign post.
I am not the path.
You fly.  You sing.  You
work.  You play well.  You
become an aria as your own influence
mingles with the gladness of a choir of strong elders.
Indubitably, you
are more than the sum
of all the intermittent notes that balance you
and that you count
for brief moments--
more than all the arcs that spring
you to spiral
upward and forward
to countless blessed hours.
The long-lived measures
you learn to improvise
after understanding the rules of school--
and I am humbled
and carried forth
by the delivery
of your song.

8 June 2011, edited 28 August 2012



1 comment:

  1. Since yesterday was back-to-school day for students, I revisited this poem to embellish it. It is inspired by and dedicated to my former Pre-AP and AP Scholars from Skyline High School, many of whose successes I see in their postings on Facebook. --DL

    ReplyDelete